Originally located on River Road, the Cliff House Hotel was built in 1872 by Philip Bender. It was originally named for its cliff's edge location on the river bank, and later renamed the Queen's Hotel. It was a two-storey frame structure, with open verandahs on three sides, and guests had a marvellous view of the falls from the upper level. New owners added an ice cream parlour and restaurant. In 1927, A. H. Collett purchased the hotel, dismantled the building, and had it re-erected on St. Paul Avenue with only minor changes.
Today, the building is home to the Queen's Coach Family Restaurant.
Niagara Falls Public Library. 2017. Niagara Falls - Then & Now: A Photographic Journey Through The Years. Queen's Hotel/ Cliff House Hotel/Queen's Coach Family Restaurant
Niagara Falls Then and Now
A collaborative project
Niagara Falls Museums - Niagara Falls Public Library - Dept. of Geography and Tourism Studies,Brock University.
Original newspaper series by
Sherman Zavitz, Official Historian for the City of Niagara Falls from 1994 - 2019.
© 2020 All rights reserved
Copyright for all content remains with original creators.